2017 Elder nominations
Though no nominee will meet all the qualifications listed below, each should be a mature, growing Christian, who is characterized by many of the ‘markers’ called for in 1 Timothy 3:1-7; 8-13 and Titus 1:6-9.
- Above reproach (life cannot be spoken against re: improper behavior).
- Temperate (free from bondage to self or desires of the flesh).
- Respectable (orderly life that demonstrates good behavior).
- Not given to drunkenness (not a heavy drinker).
- Not quarrelsome or argumentative.
- Not overbearing, stubbornly seeking one’s own way.
- Gentle (characterized by tenderness).
- Free from the love of money.
- Loves what is good (desires what is truthful and honorable).
- Not a recent convert (or new in the faith).
- Self-controlled (not making quick/superficial decisions based onimmature thinking).
- Holy (separating from sin and patterns of sin).
- Strong and steadfast belief in the trustworthy message (The Word).
- A good reputation with those outside the church. Unbelievers must respect their character and integrity.
- Hospitable (unselfish and willing to share material blessings with others).
- Able to teach (communicate the Word of God in a non-argumentative manner, not necessarily referring to the gift of teaching).
- Not violent (not given to physical or verbal violence or abuse).
- Upright (fair and impartial).
- Monogamous (a one-woman-man or a one-man-woman; singles are to be morally upright regarding opposite gender relationships).
- Managing the family well (having respect of family).